Q: How can I get started with SEO?
Website owners and businesses are always asking where to start with SEO (Search Engine Optimization).
That’s because SEO has grown beyond adding keywords to a website. There are tactics for getting links to point to your website, optimizing references, and integrating social media. There are entire companies and conferences dedicated to ranking higher in Google, Bing, and beyond. There are experts, gurus, and other SEO professionals. It’s hard for someone outside the practice and with no knowledge to keep up with it all.
So where is the best place to start?
A: Make the commitment.
Despite what some marketing agencies say, getting ranked #1 in a short amount of time and staying there isn’t easy (for the good keywords anyway). SEO is not a “set-it-and-forget-it” task. Your company has to make an ongoing resource commitment to achieve SEO greatness. Luckily, there are ways to set yourself up for continuous SEO activity:
- Get your staff trained on SEO basics to do it themselves
- Consult with a professional to create an SEO plan
- Have a third party manage your SEO activities, including monitoring ongoing progress and implementing needed changes.
Before you choose which path to go down, you’ll want to ask yourself:
- Does my company have the resources to support SEO activities?
- Will SEO replace the time and cost that used to be spent on more traditional marketing (ex. print ads, direct mail)?
- Where does it relate to my company’s other plans and goals?
Contact me to discuss the best place for your company to start with SEO, and get your company ranking higher!